Physical activity and nutrition are an important part of maintaining a healthy lifestyle. At The Heights at La Salle Apartments in Duluth, North Carolina, we do our best to provide our residents with resourceful tips, exercise routines, and even recipes to help them reach their fitness goals. These stretching movements will get you started off on the right foot – quite literally!
Some people may wonder why you even have to stretch. Well, those, who have ever felt muscle tightness or a limited range of motion, might better understand the benefits of stretching before and after your workout routine. Once you have a solid stretching routine in place, you can overcome all of the above – all while helping yourself to recover more quickly and maintain a healthier lifestyle overall. Not sure where to start, exactly? Try incorporating these three stretching moves into your everyday activity!
1. Stand with your feet together, arms by the side of the body, and palms facing the thighs.
2. Inhale and bend your right leg, toes pointing up. Grab the ankle with the right arm and bring the heel as close to the buttock as possible. Hold it for 5 seconds, and exhale release.
3. Inhale and bend your left leg, toes pointing up. Grab the ankle with the left arm and bring the heel as close to the buttock as possible. Hold it for 5 seconds, and exhale release.
4. Make sure to have a good round grip around the ankle — fingers together, thumb apart. Then, complete five rounds with right and left together making one round a piece.
Dynamic Cobra Stretch
1. Lie down on your stomach on a mat with feet apart at hip distance.
2. Place the forehead on the mat and palms below the shoulders facing down, elbows turned inwards towards the body.
3. As you inhale with a firm grip on the mat, lift your torso and turn back from the right to look towards your left heel. While you are up, turn left and look towards your right heel.
4. Exhale and bring your forehead back on the mat with control.
5. Again, inhale come up, look towards your right, then left, and exhale, come down. Then, repeat.
1. Come down on the ground on all fours — knees, and palms. Ensure that the legs are hip-width apart and the knees are in line with the hips. Also, make sure your wrists and shoulders are in one line. Relax the toes.
2. As you inhale, lift the right leg up, toes pointing up. Try to bring your toes as close to the head as possible. Let the back arch naturally. Lift your neck as if trying to meet the toes.
3. As you exhale, bring your leg down bending the knee and sliding it from under the body to meet the forehead. Drop your neck looking down trying to meet the knee.
4. Repeat the stretch from the left side, both times slowly and mindfully.
5. Complete five rounds with right and left together making one round a piece.