Shake up your household menu – and put your fully equipped kitchen to use – with this easy-to-follow recipe, courtesy of The Heights at La Salle Apartments in Durham, North Carolina.
Who doesn’t love a good, fresh pretzel? Often found in shopping mall food courts, at carnivals and fairs, or at the movie theater’s concessions booth, soft pretzels are known by many as a perfect snack. Salty and chewy, soft pretzels taste delicious when dipped in butter, mustard, cheese, or another type of sauce. That’s why so many different age groups simply cannot resist a hot, freshly baked soft pretzel. Not to mention, they’re super easy to make in your apartment home’s fully-equipped kitchen, as long as you have active dry yeast and flour on hand. So, what more proof do you need? Give this Homemade Soft Pretzels recipe a spin today!
- 1 ½ cups water, warm
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 packet active dry yeast
- 4 ½ cups flour
- 3 tablespoons oil, divided
- ⅔ cup baking soda
- 2 eggs, beaten
- Coarse salt
- In a bowl, mix water, salt, and sugar until combined. Add yeast and let rest 5 minutes until yeast starts to foam.
- Add flour and 2 tablespoons of oil and mix thoroughly until a dough forms.
- Remove the dough and use the remaining oil to cover the bowl.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
- Cut dough into eight pieces and roll them out into thin ropes, twisting the two ends to form a pretzel shape.
- Add baking soda to a large pot of water and bring to a rolling boil. Boil each pretzel for 30 seconds per side.
- Transfer pretzels to a baking sheet, brush with egg wash, and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until golden brown. Let cool and enjoy!